Monday, January 13, 2014

thai curry butternut squash soup

 
I've been feeling under the weather the past two days, and after laying around the apartment all day with nothing to do and a ever so picky stomach, I needed something to do (that didn't require leaving my cave) and something to eat.

This morning I was incredibly hungry, so I thought, "It's regular food time now?" and proceeded to make what I usually have for breakfasts on my day off... sunny-side up eggs, bacon and hash browns. This did not go well a couple hours later, so later in the afternoon the hunger kicked in and I ended up eating leftover Chinese take-out food, chicken soup from a can and half a package of crackers. Strike two.
While not being ashamed that I still love condensed soup from a can, sadly I had to agree that it was not something that my stomach needed. I ended up passing the next several hours slumped on the couch watching re-runs of Saturday Night Live and NANA, finally realizing that I wanted to stand up and do something semi-productive and perhaps coax my still hungry, angry belly.
I ended up rummaging through my cupboards and found the godsend ingredients that I knew would be great for a blended soup: butternut squashes, coconut milk and Thai curry paste. I was even more pleased that I had purchased "light" coconut milk and reduced sodium chicken broth during a "I'm going to eat better this year, I swear" shopping mentality from a few weeks ago.

So I ended up killing a bit of time making this "light" Thai curry butternut squash soup, and my efforts had not gone to waste. The natural sweet creaminess of the coconut milk, the sweet, velvety butternut squash, zest of curry paste, and the squeeze of fresh lime is so wonderful and I hate to say it-- doesn't come with the guilt of a butter-cream thickened soup. :)
I'll make my tummy like this soup, even if it kills me... hopefully it doesn't.




Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Serves eight.
  • 2 medium-sized butternut squashes (about 2.5 lbs worth)
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 3 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 tsp. red curry paste
  • 1 -13.5oz can light coconut milk
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil (divided into 2 and 1 tbsp)
  • 1 tsp. salt (divided)
  • fresh lime wedges
Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
Peel, seed and cut butternut squashes into 2 inch cubes. Place squash cubes in a baking dish and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and mix until salt and oil are distributed over the squash. Bake at 450 F for 35 minutes or more until the squash is golden and tender.

Swirl the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium and add onion, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked squash cubes, broth and curry paste with other 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, stir occasionally.

Turn off heat and stir in coconut milk, and squeeze in the juice of a quarter wedge of lime. CAREFULLY, place half of the squash-soup mixture into a blender or food processor (I used a ladle) and blend until smooth. Pour blended soup into bowls or containers to cool for later refrigeration. Repeat with second batch. Garnish with another squirt of lime juice from a fresh sliced lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment